Offering just one menu, a Tasting Menu, allows us to bring together everything that we have grown and developed into a purposefully designed experience.
The menu is inspired by the ingredients that we grow and forage in and around Oldstead. It might be something outwardly simple but really fresh and delicious or perhaps an incredible flavour developed by fermenting, pickling or prolonged ageing.
When you work somewhere that your family has lived and farmed for centuries you just feel like you have ‘roots’; it’s like the place belongs to you and you belong to it. Once you get to know what’s there and learn how to use it, you just want to build on it.
We forage in the hedgerows and woodland at Oldstead; grow those wonderfully traditional garden and field crops and then experiment with alternative plants and develop our own techniques to produce something very much of our time.
In the Glass
It’s not just the food; developing the drinks list is work that’s truly steeped in passion. There’s constant experimentation. It’s about preserving and enhancing flavours; it’s fruit, vegetables and herbs; it’s juices, cordials, liqueurs and essences; it’s pressing, filtering, distilling, drying, fermenting and ageing; and then, it’s there in a cocktail glass – sweet, sour, spicy, spirity and special. Designed and made in Oldstead.
Straight to plate
Farming, foraging and growing our own gives us incredibly fresh produce and exciting rare ingredients. With field-scale crops on our farm and two acres of growing beds and terraces in the garden adjoining The Black Swan, Tommy and the team produce wonderfully diverse seasonal menus with a real connection between field and plate.
We will now direct you to our online booking system TOCK
Before continuing, please read the following: Tock is a ‘ticketing’ system that requires the full payment to make a reservation.
- All our live availability is shown on TOCK – we don’t use any other systems.
- We only take reservations up to 6 months in advance.
- If you have a gift voucher that you would like to use as part or full payment, please click here to make a request. (Please note that we no longer sell gift vouchers)
- All room bookings automatically include a reservation in the restaurant.
- We serve a ‘Tasting’ style menu and do not offer ‘A la Carte’.
Sorry, but we are unable to accommodate:
- Tables for more than 6 guests in the restaurant
- Children under 18 in the bedrooms or under 10 in the restaurant
- Dogs or pets in the restaurant, bar or bedrooms.